Pages

Sunday, April 12, 2020

Resurrection Sunday


Happy Resurrection Sunday! It was a beautiful day in many ways today. The virus canceled church services which is something that has never happened. I whole heartedly agreed with this decision, as we are still staying home to limit the spread of this virus. Some people were upset but I feel it gave people a chance to explore different types of Christian services via the internet. I joined several programs this week. This morning I watched a sunrise service at Arlington Cemetery. I didn't know that services were held there. I live in the Pacific North West, so I have never even been there. The chaplain was fabulous and what a joy to view this service online. Later this morning, I joined my friends Paul and Angelia for their home church. They live in Alabama and I visit this service often.
Yes, it was a very different Easter but Easter Sunday was not canceled.


Last January, someone in a tea group I belong to, posted these adorable tins. I was able to order a set. I don't even remember the name of the company. The larger tin is for cake. Isn't it pretty?


The smaller one says Tea Time Treats! Oh, how I dove that tin.


Jimmy likes sugar cookies. I had a roll of dough in the fridge, So I decided to bake some cookies for him. I LOVE cookie cutters. I used some of the red plastic ones from my youth, some Hallmark ones that my girls loved growing up and some I have picked up along the way. Yep, I still have my Tupperware sheet for rolling out dough. I have had it for about 40 years!


Jimmy doesn't like icing on sugar cookies, so I just used colored sugars to decorate them a little.


This is one of my spice cabinets. This was a Mother's Day gift long ago.


I have very small cookie cutters in some of the drawers. I used to use these to make cookies for my daughters when they were little.


I picked out a few to make some cookies for my dollies. I just love these tiny cookie cutters.


The finished project! I will have to share them with my dolls.


I also decided to make one of our family traditions for Easter. They are called Blarney Stones. They started out as cakes for St Pat's Day by my maternal grandmother. She cut a sheet cake into squares, frosted the cake all around and rolled it in coconut and chopped walnuts. My mother changed the process a little. She made them for Easter and frosted them with pastel colors. She made cupcakes and that made them easier to handle than cut cake squares. We still call them Blarney Stones.


Chopped walnuts and coconut ready to go.


These are so yummy and pretty, but they are messy to make. I frost the top and sides and then put it in the coconut bowl. I finish frosting the sides and bottom and roll it the coconut. I've done these many years and I will tell you, it takes some practice to get it right.


The coconut ones are the favorite in my family, but they like some nut ones too!


Don't they look like spring? These are full size cupcakes, but I have made them smaller for showers or teas. I like to make white ones with coconut for Christmas or winter...they look like snowballs.


I let them sit overnight with a layer of plastic wrap loosely over the pan. They need to dry a bit before wrapping them individually in plastic wrap. The look great in the new cake tin.


My friend Michi Ball made this rabbit. She is an artist and sells wonderful things every month. I just love him.


My Jimmy was so ready for a nice Easter dinner. We couldn't share our meal with anyone, but we have each other. I had fun planning the menu....ham, balsamic vinegar asparagus, pea salad and fresh fresh fruit salad. I'm not supposed to eat ham due to my low sodium diet, but I did have a bit today!


Jimmy loved the pea and bacon salad...something new for us.


I didn't get out my Easter dishes this year so I used my Johnson Brother's Old English Countryside set.




Angie had Otto and her step daughter over night this weekend so she drove over to see us and drop off a few things. We can't have the kids over now but we got to see them as they stayed in the car.
Otto was SO SAD that he had to stay in the car. In the first photo, you can only see his hand. He wouldn't even look at us for awhile. It just made me so sad. We haven't seen him in person for a month!I tried not to cry, but the tears just came. Jim got sad too. Brave Angie just keep saying it was alright. This is the hardest part of this separation stuff for me.

Well, here it is bedtime. It was a full and busy day. We both found a lot of JOY, even with the sadness. Stay home and stay safe. 

3 comments:

Kelly-Anne ♥ The Diary of a Country Girl said...

Happy Resurrection day, dear Lady Linda! What a glorious day!
I am so glad you had a special weekend celebrating what our precious Saviour did on the cross for us.
The tins are just gorgeous, and so is the spice drawer!
Have a blessed week!

mamasmercantile said...

Sounds like you have been busy. Those cookies and cakes look delicious. A delight to visit and admire the tins and spice drawers too. Stay safe.

Bernideen said...

Yes this is certainly a difficult time and we are all making the necessary adjustments! We are thankful to we well for sure! Thank you for the sweet card.