Pages

Monday, April 6, 2020

Holy Week


Good morning blogger friends. For those of us who are Christians, this is a special week...Holy Week. It began yesterday with Palm Sunday. This is the week we remember that Christ died for us to give us eternal life. It's quite different with this virus. Everyone is still sheltering in at home. Churches are closed and online church and programs have become a way of life right now. It is good to remember that Easter is NOT canceled...just the services and gatherings. It's hard but again, all of this is making us appreciate so many things we just took for granted or really didn't even try to participate in. Time to think and renew.

So I wanted to post a few things that happened over the weekend. Life goes on, but in such a different way!

My daughter Angie works in the office for a Portland OR school district. She has had to go into work as the district and teachers are trying to figure out what to do about teaching students as the schools are still closed. It's very difficult. I have sisters and a niece who are teachers. They are not trained in online teaching. All the districts are handing out Chrome Books today to students who do not have computers at home. Angie's district is handing out 700 today.

My other daughter Gina is moving forward after a break up with her boyfriend. This has been a trying time for relationships. She teaches at Clackamas Community College and has only one online class this next term. She is currently editing a book for a new author. Her part time little job at her friend's hair salon went out the window when Kelsie had to shut down her business. Gina has her sweet little dog Rico to help her get through this.

My grandson Otto, who is 6 now, is missing school and seeing us. He has been home with his mama and I think he's just bored. Maybe the sunshine will help this week.  He needs to get out and run some energy off! His birthday is in July and he's worried that his birthday will be canceled with the virus. Poor little monkey. He does well with the structure that school gives him and he has a great teacher this year. Grandma Linda and Papa Jimmy are missing Otto. We do FaceTime but he wasn't even interested in that the other day.

My dad's birthday is on April 8th. He is living in an assisted living home and is in total lockdown. He survived a heart attack the end of January, We almost lost him and he was in the hospital and then rehab for over a month. I didn't think he would see this 91st birthday, but here he is! We are trying to figure out how to celebrate or remember his day. My sister is calling Russellville today to ask if we could do a drive by...like a parade. They might have an idea or two. Who knows.

My niece Anna had emergency surgery yesterday. She has had trouble and surgery before for an ulcer. It went well, but she will be in the hospital until Friday. NO VISITORS! I feel so bad for her all alone. He hubby can't be with her. Just thankful there was room in a hospital for her. The virus numbers are low here in Oregon. I pray they stay that way.

Jimmy and I are doing fine. We are used to retired life and being together a lot. He has been getting projects done in the garage and around the house. He's getting more done than I am and that's ok. I am looking forward to sunshine this week to continue doing yard work. It was a very wet week so the grass in the beds has just taken off. We don't like to use chemicals, so that means work work work! Oh well, it's good for the old folks. I am doing a lot of wash as we are trying to use cloth towels and such in the house instead of paper products. I'm enjoying cooking and trying old favorites. As I have said, I'm a home body. I like to be home.

Yesterday, my nephew's girlfriend Jessica, set up a video meeting for any of the family that wanted to join. She scheduled it for 5 pm. It was kind of awkward and kind of fun. I have to tell you, I was surprised that everyone looked so stressed. We haven't seen each other for weeks. This virus and the unknown has taken a toll on us all. But, we are thankful for the internet and we are thankful that the virus has been held in check in Oregon and SW Washington. I am praying that that will continue. My heart just goes out to the city of New York and that state. Unreal and difficult to see the numbers climb along with the death toll.

Well, enough. I want to have a record of this so I am trying to keep going on my blog. I am going to do another post later today on a few fun things I have been doing. Take care...stay home and stay safe.

1 comment:

mamasmercantile said...

I know how hard it is to have a loved one in hospital, my dear Dad is in hospital with no visiting allowed. We are so thankful for technology keeping the rest of us together as we are so widespread. It is good to keep a record as this is very much history in the making. Stay safe and keep well.