Pages

Thursday, April 9, 2020

Dad's Birthday!



Yesterday, April 8th was my dad's 91st birthday. The end of January, dad had a heart attack and was taken to the hospital. His oxygen levels were very low and then his kidneys weren't working. He was in the hospital for over a week and we almost lost him one night. Then he had to go to rehab for weeks. We really didn't think he was going to see his 91st birthday. At the time, it was hard to go through all of this with him once again. God just wasn't ready to call him home. After the virus situation began, our family sure was thankful that this happened at the beginning of the year! To think of him in the hospital and rehab without any of his family there to be there with him and to talk to nurses and doctors just seems horrible. Yet, that's what families are experiencing now. Our hearts go out to them.


Dad lives in an assisted living home called Russellville Park.  He has lived there between both buildings for 11 years now. It's hard to believe. He has been in lockdown due to this virus. We didn't know how to celebrate his birthday. So my sister Alisa called Russellville and they allowed him to go to the window in the dining room (it's not being used now as everyone has to eat in their room)to see us. Better than nothing!


This is Patrick, my nephew, holding the sign his family made. If you look very closely, you can see my dad in the window. We all waved to him and then sang Happy Birthday, but I don't think he could really hear us. We all waved our hands in the air and told him we were singing!


This is my niece Maria with her pink hair. It changes colors all the time. She is a senior this year and sadly, she will be missing all the senior activities as our governor Kate Brown, canceled all in person school for the rest of the year. The education department is working on a plan so senior can graduate. I just feel so bad for all of these kids and their plans for continuing education. Marie is scheduled to start beauty school the end of June, but who know if that will really happen at this point. You can see my dad a bit better in this photo.


My other sister Debbie. She is waiting for her face masks to arrive. Everyone is encouraged to wear on now. We stayed apart from each other....social distancing.


My nephew Markie and his girlfriend Jessica. She made face masks for them. I really couldn't get a photo of everyone and the ones I got are not very good. It's hard to stay back and not get close.


Alisa brought us all a little cake and extras for dad's helpers. These little bunt cakes were from a bakery called Nothing Bunt the Best. Oh my...too good. I had chocolate chip and Jimmy had lemon. I found recipes online for the different cakes. I might have to give them a try.


I realized that I don't have any recent good photos of dad. I need to take some as soon as I can be with him again. This is pretty much how he gets around these days. Thankful for his scooter that gives him mobility.

I am thankful that we got to make him feel special on his birthday. Not an easy thing these days.
Happy Birthday Dad! We love you!






2 comments:

Kelly-Anne ♥ The Diary of a Country Girl said...

What a lovely way to celebrate your dad's birthday! Different...but still really special! So wonderful your dad is 91 and has been able to share life with his family so long!
Blessings to you, Lady Linda!

mamasmercantile said...

I am thrilled that the family were able to celebrate. Sadly my own dear Dad is in hospital and due to the pandemic is not able to have visitors. It is a heartbreaking time, all we can do is pray. Stay safe.