Pages

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

A Bit of Reading


Being a bit under the weather lately, I've had some extra time for reading. I have been reading three different book, all very interesting and entertaining. So, what am I reading you ask? Here are my selections!


I started Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker by Jennifer Chiaverini some time ago. I talked about this novel earlier this year and I am almost finished with this one. I love to read about the Lincolns and this is a most enjoyable book told by Mary Todd Lincoln's dressmaker.


My friend Natalie loaned this book to me....A Good Man by Mark Shriver. It's a personal story about his father, Sargent Shriver. Sargent Shriver was JFK's brother-in-law. It's a heartfelt story written by his son. I never really knew a lot about Sargent Shriver's life. When I hear his name, I think Peace Corp but he was surely was A GOOD MAN.


My last book is a children's book from 1929, the year my father was born. I found it at the last Portland antique show.....Lucy Locket. I bought it from a young lady who was packing up her table early. She said she was hoping someone who was a doll person would find it! Oh yes I did!


It's written and illustrated by John Rae who also wrote Raggedy Ann and Andy! I didn't know that when I bought the book. It's a wonderful story about some children who find Lucy Locket in their grandmother's attic.


I love the back of the cover...."This is an Old-Fashioned DOLL BOOK! What a perfect book for me.


I once taught first grade, oh so long ago. and I often think of my students learning to read. I think we just take that for granted. Can you imagine all you would miss in your life if you never learned how to read? I am thankful for the gift of reading and for all the books available just waiting to be enjoyed. I hope you get a bit of time to read this summer. 

3 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

The Lucy Locket book looks delightful. I used to recite the rhyme to my daughter who is named Lucy when she was a little girl. Hope you are feeling better.

Rose said...

I have also been reading more these days as TV is starting to bore me.

Susan said...

Hi Linda. The doll book seems absolutely perfect for you! Susan