Pages

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Fern Bisel Peat


I was at a flea market a few weeks ago and I was looking at this lady's goodies. She exhibits at a lot of shows that I attend. We were chatting and I told her I liked children's tin dishes and she said she had something to show me. This little set...a coffee pot, cream and sugar, and two cups...all from one set- a nursery rhyme theme and one other little cup from another set. Of course I fell in love with the tin set and she came down in her price. I had some spending money left over from my trip, so I caved!


She told me that it was a Fern Bisel Peat set and that her name was on the little coffee pot. I was clueless. When I got home, I had to do some investigating to find out who this person was!


Little Bo Peep!


This is the extra little cup and I don't know the pattern. Shades of Mary Engelbreit, don't you think?


I have these sitting on a wonderful old candy box tin. My SIL Chris gave this to me along with several English king and queen tins. I love this box! I love tin and tin boxes! It's so nice inside too.


I also bought this little set of tin pans from the dealer. I thought they had to go home with me.


So back to Fern Bisel Peat. She was an illustrator who worked for the Children's Play Mate magazine for years. Most of her work was done in the 1930's and 1940's. I know I have seen these many times, but I didn't really pay attention to them. I will now! There is very little information to be found on her, which I think is so sad. She was born in 1893 and lived until 1971. Her art work is delightful and I love her style.





She also did a lot of paper dolls. I love paper dolls and am surprised that her work escaped me!


She illustrated many many books too. Do a search on her to see more or her work. You can find Pinterest boards too.





You know how I love my dolls and I like to iron. I would love to have this print...love the little poem in the corner.


Yes, I will be on the hunt for more of her work and her delightful lithographed tin dishes.
Have a great weekend. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello from Spain: I love paper dolls. Your set of dishes is very cute. Great purchase. Keep in touch

Susan said...

Ohhh, I LOVE flea markets, Linda. You got some great buys. Thanks for sharing them with us. Susan

La Tea Dah said...

Charming post! I love your little tin dishes!