Pages

Thursday, July 7, 2016

Thursday Treasures


A few weeks ago, Jimmy and I went down to the Oregon coast. I took a photo of this biscuit jar in an antique shoppe. I did not purchase the item and really couldn't stop thinking about it. We had to make a trip back to the beach to pick up Jimmy's IPad that he left in the motel room. This biscuit jar was just minutes away from the motel, so......yep, I went back to get it. Doesn't it just look like it should live in my tea room?


The roses are just so pretty on the jar. Pink roses that match my wallpaper so perfectly. How could I refuse? It is marked Made in England on the metal band around the lid.


So what is a biscuit jar? It is really like a fancy cookie jar! Cookies, called biscuits in England, and little cakes were stored in the jars. They later became cookie jars in America. Home baked cookies became popular in the depression years and homemakers wanted something that would keep their goods fresh. It became too expensive to make tips to the bakery during the depression times, so cookie jars became popular. 

12 comments:

Szara Sowa said...

The bisquit jar is beautiful. I love roses on all dishes. Have a nice weekend. :)

Sylvia said...

Yes, I love it and anything with roses on it is simply beautiful.

Two Cottages And Tea said...

So glad you went back and bought that sweet bisquit jar! Beautiful and it does go so well with your pretty wallpaper!
Nancy

Bernideen said...

This is so beautiful!

mamasmercantile said...

The biscuit jar is beautiful, love the roses. It really does look perfect in your tea room. Have a great weekend.

Kim said...

I would have went back for that gorgeous biscuit jar as well, it is gorgeous. LOVE the roses!

Antiques And Teacups said...

I do love biscuit jars...and that is such a beauty...I remember thinking that would have come home with me! Well done!
Ruth

Mary E. Stephens said...

It is very pretty and goes there perfectly! I suspect that cookies/biscuits lasted longer and were less expensive to make which also made them more popular during hard times. I've loved cookies since I was a baby. :-D

Blue Jeans And Teacups said...

I love this biscuit jar. So pretty! Thanks for sharing a bit of history as well!
Hugs,
Heather Elizabeth

Mrs. Chrissy T said...

I love this. It is beautiful.

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

So glad you went back and got the biscuit jar! It IS perfect with your lovely wallpaper!

Anonymous said...

Oh the biscuit jar is so pretty! I'm so glad it was still there and it came home with you. Thank you so much for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)