Pages

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Vintage Crocheted Pincushions and Thimble Holders


I know some of my blogger friends collect the crocheted pincushions with ribbon trim. I think they are wonderful but I have been collecting pincushions that are a bit different. These are also crocheted, but  have chicken wishbones in the center that help to hold thimbles. Sometimes they are called "make-do's" . All three of my examples ae a little bit different.


You can see part of the wishbone if you look carefully. See how it forms a little cradle to hold the thimble? Isn't that just sweet?


A little different design, but still a pincushion and a thimble holder.


Another pink sample. The heart below does not have a pin cushion, but it does have a nifty thimble holder.



When I was doing a  bit of research, I found this little crochet book for"Gift Novelties".It was published in 1938.


It included a page with the instrucions for making a simple wishbone thimble holder.


I got to watch my grandbaby Otto this morning! I just love that little guy, but he sure is growing up to quickly.

2 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

I have never seen these before, very interesting post. Isn't it wonderful to be able to see the grandbaby enjoy it they certainly do grow very quickly...he'll be walking before you know it.

Unknown said...

Hello from Spain: beautiful crochet creations .. Keep in touch.