Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Tea Time Thursday #6 Sunbonnet Sue

Hand painted Sunbonnet Sue teacup
The cup is signed To Nadine 1931
Jim won several bids at an Estate sale last weekend and picked up the goods yesterday. Look what was in one of the boxes! The sweetest little Sunbonnet Sue teacup~just in time for TEA TIME THURSDAY! It didn't have a saucer, but there were two little sweet plates in the china. They are hand painted too and signed 1931 on the back. I think they are cute. Being a quilter, I love Sunbonnet Sue.





I decided to look up some history on this little miss and found out some very interesting information.
Remember my full moon image from Monday? It was by Kate Greenaway. I was so surprised to learn that Kate Greenaway was the first illustrator to use a Sunbonnet Sue. Embroidery and redwork was popular during her time, and you often see little ladies with bonnets. Crazy quilts were also popular then and you may see bonnets and ladies with bonnets in some of the embroidery work on them.


In the early 1900's, Eulalie Osgood Grover wrote several children's books-children's primers. She had Bertha Corbett Melcher illustrate her work and she has been called the "mother of Sunbonnet Sue".


This is also an example of Bertha's work. She did postcards and also designed the graphics for the Dutch cleanser cleaning powder. I like the redwork design for this one too. Just too cute.


Wouldn't you love to have a set of this children's china? I haven't ever seen any of this, but I sure would love to just see it. Note the advertisement...."Novelties for June Weddings"!


Quilt patterns also appeared for Sunbonnet Sue. The pattern may also be called  Bonnie Bonnet, Dutch Doll and Sunbonnet Babies. You will notice a little boy in this vintage quilt. His name is Overall Bill, Overall Sam or Farmer Sam.


You may remember one of my posts from last summer. These are some vintage Sunflower Sue blocks that I hope to finish----someday!




Isn't this a cute little wall quilt? My friend Peggy spotted it at a garage sale a few years ago at the beach when we were at a quilt retreat. Yes, I had to buy it for $5! Cut idea.


This is a little painting that we have in our bedroom. Jim is a fisherman so I had to have this one! Pretty serious fishing going on here!



This is an item that I found and have listed on my Etsy. It used to have a pillow form in it. I like the corners. I love the quilts that were done in the 30's and 40's. My friend Ina has one that was made with feed sacks and you can read some of the print from the company.

I am the first quilter in my family so I am not lucky enough to own any vintage quilts. Do you have any that have been passed down in your family?

16 comments:

La Tea Dah said...

Such a delightful post!!!! I enjoyed it so much!

I have never seen a Sunbonnet Sue teacup before. Yours is beautiful --- what a find! I like the little plates too. They make a nice put together.

I have several vintage and several new Sunbonnet Sue quilts. She was a favorite of my mother --- who made several of them that I own. Some are posted on my blog --- and the others I will try to post sometime in the future so you can see them.

Thank you for this awesome post!

Jem said...

What a super sweet teacup! I've never seen that design before and it is lovely!

Jem xXx

Sylvia said...

Love your post, Sunbonnet Sue is so pretty. Love the tea cup and quilts.

Stephanie said...

Oh my, what a darling tea cup and plates! Sunbonnet Sue is adorable and has quite the history.

Thanks for sharing - it was a delightful post :)

Love and Hugs,
Stephanie

Antiques And Teacups said...

What an icon Never seen a Sunbonnet Sue teacup...lots of quilts, pillows, aprons etc. How cute! He done good!!! Thanks for linking to Thursday Tea Things And Talk!
Ruth

GardenOfDaisies said...

Oh my goodness, I LOVE that darling little Sunbonnet teacup! So sweet! the little quilt blocks are precious, too. Visit my quilt page (under my blog header) and scroll down til you find the sunbonnet sue blocks I made for a couple of friends in a block swap. :-) (you will need a good sense of humor to look at one of them... you'll see what I mean.)

Unknown said...

Thanks for researching this, it was fun learning about Sunbonnet Sue.

Erica of Golden Egg Vintage said...

This post was so neat! I found a whole stack of finished Sunbonnet Sue Quilt Squares at the flea market last summer. I need to learn how to quilt so that I can put them together!
I love your little tea cup!
Thanks for sharing Linda.
Erica :)

anita said...

This is a wonderful post. I adore Sunbonnet Sue! You inspired me to get out the fabric and see what I can put together :) Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

We absolutely love your blog and find most of your post's to be just what I'm looking for.
Do you offer guest writers to write content for
yourself? I wouldn't mind publishing a post or elaborating on a lot of the subjects you write in relation to here. Again, awesome site!

Look at my web-site: adrienne bailon besos
my page > abc magnets

anita said...

Lady Linda, I replied to your message about shawls on my blog. Thank you :)

Shabby Brocante, Karen said...

I knew noting about Sunbonnet Sue. I love the teacup and history behind it!
Karen

ByLightOfMoon said...

I adore bonnet girls and your post is so fun I will go back and look at it again for the smiles on my face! Thanks Linda!
Smiles, cyndi

Rebecca said...

I do! I'm in the midst of researching the history of sunbonnet sue because I have two. One is very old (there's a wee picture on my blog today).

That's how I found your blog. Thanks for sharing!

Staceygirl11 said...

Hi and thanks for the post. I am looking for a Sunbonnet Sue quilt that my grandmother quilted with her grandmother and through the years got lost. It is like the pink bordered one on the blog with only a couple of the Sunbonnet Boys on it and it had on hole where a nail had been driven through it. It was given to a woman in Maquoketa Iowa to repair and I have not seen it since. I am heartbroken over losing it. Any info would be greatly appreciated as this was a family heirloom. Thanks, Stacey

Staceygirl11 said...

Hi and thanks for the post. I am looking for a Sunbonnet Sue quilt that my grandmother quilted with her grandmother and through the years got lost. It is like the pink bordered one on the blog with only a couple of the Sunbonnet Boys on it and it had on hole where a nail had been driven through it. It was given to a woman in Maquoketa Iowa to repair and I have not seen it since. I am heartbroken over losing it. Any info would be greatly appreciated as this was a family heirloom. Thanks, Stacey