Pages

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Gratitude Sunday #8 BUTTON BUTTON, WHO'S GOT THE BUTTON ?


Button, button, who's got the button? Did you ever play that game when you were young? We did and I used to play it with the kids in my class when I taught primary grades and even at the Girls Scout Camp. It's such a simple little game, but kids love it. Almost as much as I LOVE buttons! When I was little, I would sort my mom's buttons into families, but color and size. I would spend hours sorting buttons. I still love to sort things. My Jimmy just laughs at me and tells my girls to just bring mom a bag of buttons to sort when she's in a nursing home! That will keep her busy and happy for days....I think he's right!

Have your ever thought how functional buttons really are? We are lucky to have them on our clothes! They can also be decorative too. So I am thankful for buttons today and joining Linda at A La Carte
for another Gratitude Sunday. This is her 8th Sunday, two month's worth of gratitude from us that are joining her.


This is a little assortment of vintage buttons that I just can't take off of their sweet little cards. I wish things so common as a button, were packaged like they used to be.  You can see some tiny buttons in this picture. I have lots of friends give me little the very small buttons for doll clothes. I am always on the hunt for those!


This is how I store my buttons, the ones I may need for a craft project or quilt. I like to be able to get to them when needed. The larger box is home to the main buttons but the smaller one holds all my special and holiday buttons. I try to keep them in little containers inside the box.


 Oh what could be hiding inside the charming Peter Rabbit tins? More special buttons. I love all the spring and pastel ones.



 You may have noticed the background quilt in the pictures. My friend Linda gave it to me a few years ago. I love the embroidered quilt blocks and notice the tea time buttons in the pinwheels.



This is a card of ceramic tea time buttons that I have been saving for something special. I love the flat ceramic ones for quilt projects as they are pretty flat.


Did you notice this tiny box in a picture above? I love it and keep some of those tiny dolly buttons inside for safe keeping.


I often go to estate sales and am a total junker. I keep my eyes open for old tins. My mother kept her buttons in a tin and I think a lot of women did. Here's a pretty tin that was loaded with treasures!


I opened this little wooden box to find an assortment of mostly white and buttons made of shells, some of my favorites. Note how many in this tub were grouped together in safety pins or pieces of wire. Ladies often saved the buttons off of garments when they wore out. Thrifty homemakers.


 I once told my friend LaVonne (my dear friend who lives in MT that I talk about ALL the time) that I needed some more white buttons. I was also looking for a glass rolling pin. So, guess what she gifted me with....a glass rolling pin filled with white buttons of all types! I just keep filling it up when I use  some for a project. Thanks LaVonne! I still love it.


I'm also feeling very thankful this Sunday for my friends too who know me so well and spoil me. I have been meeting new friends this year in blogland and I have to say, I have been very touched by these new and growing friendships. It just makes me happy.

So take a minute and be thankful when your button your blouse or look at that fabulous big button on your coat that just makes it fashionable!  It's the little things...right? Have a wonderful week. 

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

Look at all of your delightful buttons! My mom and I also love buttons :) She has a cute jar filled with them at her home that I am always tempted to take, but I am a good girl :)
Your Peter Rabbit tins are too cute! And that quilt! It's stunning. Your friend did an amazing job on it.

I hope your Sunday has been lovely.

Hugs,
Stephanie

Jemma@athomewithjemma said...

Linda,

This is such a sweet post-my Momma had an old tin can that was black with red flowers on it and inside of this most appealing tin were a glorious assortment of buttons!!
Oh, love this post so much!!
xo-
jemma

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love your vintage buttons and the cute little bunny tins but that quilt with the tea time buttons is amazing! It's a really beautiful quilt! Happy Sunday!

Micupoftea said...

Oh, how charming! Sweet post, nice photos. How thoughtful of your friend to give you the quilt. I love the rolling pin filled with buttons :)
ENjoy the end of Feb,
shawn

Betty@SouthernGrace said...

Sweet post. Grateful for little things like buttons that make us smile :)

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Oh Linda I love buttons also. My Mom sewed and as a kid getting to play in her button box was my favorite thing! You have an amazing collection of buttons. Thank you so much for joining Gratitude Sunday each week. Your friendship means a lot to me!

hugs,Linda M.

Unknown said...

We kind of take buttons for granted don't we. They can be so special and also beautiful. I love vintage buttons too. Mine are in a vintage glass jar. I like to be able to see them. I bought this jar of buttons at an antique shop at Port Gamble, the first thing I did was sort through them to see what I had.

Erica of Golden Egg Vintage said...

What a sweetheart of a friend to give you the glass rolling pin filled with buttons! Great idea!
I have my Grandma's cute tin full of buttons too. :)
Super cute post Linda Lou!
Erica