Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Tea Time Thursday # 5~The Lincoln China


I just finished a great book that I found at the library by Stephen Berry~THE HOUSE OF ABRAHAM. It really gives the reader a great deal of information on the Lincoln family and the Todd family and how the two families interacted during the civil war years. I've read many Lincoln books, but I learned so much about the families from this one.


I couldn't wait to see the Lincoln movie when it was released in November. We saw it on Thanksgiving and I wasn't disappointed. It really explained what Lincoln went through to get the 13th amendment
passed.


I am fascinated with Mary Todd Lincoln and I think Sally Field did a fantastic job in the movie. What a wonderful role to play at this point in her career. I saw several interviews on how she  really went all out to get the part.


On our last visit to the Lincoln Museum in Springfield, Illinois, I bought this little ornament. It's a copy of the Lincoln's presidential china.  I really wanted to buy a cup and saucer but it was a bit out of my budget.

When the Lincolns went to the White House in 1861, Mary was upset with the china that was available for entertaining. We all know how she loved to entertain, so she worked with the EV Haughwout & CO of New York, to design a presidential china. She chose Haviland of France to help her. She wanted a white center with a scalloped border. The handpainted purple border was  known as ROYAL PURPLE and she chose a rope border to go with the purple border. The center was to have the American Eagle in the clouds. Of course, he was to have the arrows and the olive branch in his talons.
The motto "E Pluribus Unum" was to be added.

After Christmas, I decided to order that cup and saucer after a great Etsy season! As I was looking online for one, I discovered that the Wooodmere Company of Pennsylvania has discontinued their production of their version of the Royal Purple Lincoln china! Some museums had already sold out. I found that Replacements carried the cup and saucer so I ordered it from them. It arrived in a nice blue box.



Isn't it just beautiful! It also goes with the burgundy cup and saucers that I've been collecting~perfect for Tea Time Thursday.



It came with an official "Certificate of Authenticity"! Classy!


I've been using some music pages as a background for my photos. I found a great book at an Estate sale about Civil War songs. I found it interesting and love the graphics.


This is some wonderful Civil War music that I purchased at the Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum. It's a two disc set with lots of great music....very enjoyable.

I recently picked up this little interesting book at a flea market. I'm always on the hunt!


LaVonne in MT sent my Annabelle these treats for Valentine's Day. Can you believe she found two little miniature books on Lincoln? Amazing!


Last March when we were in Montana, I found these two oversized postcards...wonderful!



I saved all these Lincoln things for Tea Time Thursday as close to President's Day as I could get! I felt sorry for old George, so I did buy this sweet little dish with his image in the center. Happy President's Day week!


12 comments:

Unknown said...

The Civil War was one period of history I wasn't that interested in, so I haven't read much about Lincoln. I do have some books about him but they are those big old books. I'll get in the mood some day to tackle them. As you know I do consider Lincoln as my favorite president along with Washington. The china is lovely. I will see if Netflix has the movie yet. Good post.

Susan said...

Hi Linda...Perfect! Oh, the cup is quite charming. And those oversized postcards? Wonderful.

I recently saw the movie and loved it.

Susan

Stephanie said...

I have not seen the movie, but after reading what you wrote I am thinking I need to see it :)

Thank your for the lovely post - it's always a joy to visit.

Hugs,
Stephanie

Stephanie said...

It's me again :) Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. I think you are a follower of my blog, but I am not sure...if not I have the Follow by email or follow with GFC on my sidebar. Hope that helps.

Hugs,
Stephanie

Erica of Golden Egg Vintage said...

Hi Linda!
I loved the movie "Lincoln" so much! It made me want to learn more about him, as does your post!
It was neat to learn about the presidential china too!
So...I'm your partner for the Easter Swap! I've visited your blog a few times over the past couple of days to learn a bit about you. Can't wait to chat!
Erica :)

Anonymous said...

Hey there, You've done an excellent job. I'll certainly digg it and
personally suggest to my friends. I'm sure they'll be benefited from this website.


Here is my page pulver zum zunehmen
my site > schnell abnehmen kostenlos

xinex said...

Oh, how I would love to own that cup too. What a beautiful tribute to Lincoln. I love Sally Field and I cannot wait to watch the movie myself....Christine

Antiques And Teacups said...

Oh Linda...what a wonderful post! So many wonderful photographs and facts. I love that you got the cup and saucer! That's wonderful! It's beautiful! Perfect for your collection! Thanks for linking this wonderful post to Thursday Tea Things and Talk!
Ruth

Jemma@athomewithjemma said...

This was such an interesting post! Were you a History teacher? Excellent Post!!

Terri said...

What a lovely post about the Lincolns. I had never seen their china patter, but I did study about them in college. It was fascinating.
I am thrilled for you that you now have the tea cup set! Yay!
Your collection is really great.
Hugs,
Terri

Micupoftea said...

This post is fascinating, Linda! I really enjoyed seeing your collection of Lincoln memorabilia and so happy you got the cup and saucer. Did you read Bill O'Reiley's book on Lincoln? I enjoyed it but the end is sad, of course. I need to see that movie you mentioned.
xoxo

Anonymous said...

great issues altogether, you just received a brand new reader.
What may you suggest about your publish that you just made a few
days ago? Any positive?

my site Calories Walking Calculator