Pages

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Tea Time Thursday #69 and a Little Avon Fun


Oh the sunrise was just so very pretty this morning with many shades of pink! Spring officially begins tomorrow and I am ready. I have a few Easter decorations up in my tea room and will finish the rest of the house soon.  As Tasha Tudor's book reminds us, SPRING is one of the seasons of delight..

I have a fun teacup and some information that goes with it to share today. I recently found this really pretty spring teacup at a sale. I was taken with it and noticed the sweet little lady on it. The cup was made by the QUEENS company in England in 1996 for the Avon company. Ah....a mystery. I went searching for some answers last night.



The cup was presented as an award to Avon representatives. I'm not sure what the rep had to achieve to receive it. It once came with a wooden base. It seems several different cup and saucers have been made and given out over the years. I really like this design the best of all that I saw doing my research.


The lady in the picture is Mrs. PFE Albee. Who was Mrs. Perses Fpster Eames Albee? She was the very first Avon representative, chosen by the founder David H McConnell. He chose her in the late 1800 to start selling his perfumes door to door. She was 50 when she took on the job in the Northeast. She was from New Hampshire and traveled by horse, buggy and train! She is often called the "Mother of the California Perfume Company".


The first scents sold were Violet, White Rose, Hyacinth and Lily-of-the-Valley. All did quite well and she was very successful.


There is a Facebook page for her....HONOR MRS PFE ALBEE, a Barbie doll, porcelain statures and there is a room dedicated to her in the Sheridan House Museum in Winchester NH! Who knew?
It is amazing what a pretty teacup has to share with you!
Happy Tea Time Thursday. Do enjoy a cup of tea today. 

9 comments:

The Tea Lady's Journal said...

Love the Tea Cup and I so enjoyed reading the history. Thank you for posting such an interesting story. The cup is quite pretty and so is the lady.

Unknown said...

Hello from Spain: I really like your collection of tea cups. I really like the arrival of spring. The light and colors are fabulous. Nice pictures. Keep in touch

mamasmercantile said...

What an amazing story behind the teacup, which really was a beauty.

Sylvia said...

Your teacup is really pretty. I am so happy Spring is finally here.

The Victorian Girl said...

That is so funny because last week my sister and I were antique shopping and we saw the very same Avon teacups! They were marked down and had the wooden bases too. I think the one you have is the prettiest too. Now I know more about them.

Stephanie said...

Happy Spring, my friend! The sun is shining brightly and the sky is extra blue - it's the perfect day to welcome Spring :)

Your post is lovely! And your tea cup is even lovelier! What a unique cup and saucer, dear Linda.

Love and hugs to you!

Bernideen said...

Now that was totally fascinating. I am so glad you have a new computer! Our crashed last December and I have still not learned many things - but that's ok! I love your header. I have 8 of the Beatrix Potter figurines. Tasha Tudor is always loved! I am so glad you got to visit her place!

Blue Jeans And Teacups said...

Hello! I am new to your blog and visiting through Stephanie's teacup exchange (also a first for me!). I REALLY enjoyed this informative post. Like Mrs. Albee, I am from California. The cup/saucer is just gorgeous! I bet she never envisioned her face on one ;)
I look forward to reading more posts from you. If you would consider adding a link to sign up for emails of your delightful blog, so I don't miss any, that would be so lovely. I pray you have a wonderful weekend! ~Heather Elizabeth

Blue Jeans And Teacups said...

I was just browsing your blog some more and I FOUND the email subscribe section! YAY!!! Disregard my previous request please. Thank you, Heather