Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Tea Time Tuesday #117


Tea Time Tuesday! Today, I shared my mote spoons with my Tasha Tudor group. I like to do my blog post on the same subject. A mote spoon is a spoon used to remove the tea leaves in a teacup. Most of the spoons are slotted for that reason. Mote means speck and so the spoons were used to remove the little specks of tea. They were replaced by tea strainers. Mine are all sterling silver.




This was my first mote spoon. Jimmy brought it back to me from Illinois and it's my favorite.
It has tiny star shaped holes stamped into the silver.


The bottom of the spoons have little arrow shapes and were used to remove the tea leaves that may get caught in the teapot spouts.

Often these spoons are confused with olive forks. I had an antique dealer try to convince me that her mote spoon was an olive spoon. 

8 comments:

Bernideen said...

Dear Linda:
No, I don't own any of these spoons and I am happy to be taught something here by you! I shall now no what they are! Your collection is amazing.

mamasmercantile said...

That is a lovely collection, what a delight to see.

Sylvia said...

I haven't seen these before, thanks for enlightening me, I learned something new!

Susan said...

Oh my gosh, Linda. I hadn't heard of those before. So interesting. One learns something new each day.

Thanks for all your visits to my posts, Linda. I appreciate them so much. Sincerely, Susan

Anonymous said...

I have seen several of these in the old Victoria Magazines... thank you for sharing yours Linda :o) mari

Lady Jane said...

I love to brew my own tea but never have seen these before. Thanks for contributing to my tea knowledge. Hugs, LJ

Stephanie said...

Good afternoon, my sweet and lovely friend. How are you? I am sipping a cup of green tea and your post was the perfect reading material for my quiet time :) How I loved seeing your pretty collection of spoons. They are very unique and lovely.

Enjoy the upcoming weekend. Much love to you!

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Hi Linda,
Wow, I have never seen or heard of those spoons! Now I will be on the look out, I see so many different silverware pieces at the sales that I work for every week. I bet I have seen some and didn't know what they were! :)