Pages

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

New Dishwasher



 When I was little, we didn't have a dishwasher. I think I was about 10 when we moved into our brand new house and my mom was the proud owner of a dishwasher. I can remember in grade school learning how to wash dishes correctly in health class. It's funny that those instructions have always stayed with me. Use hot water, wash the glasses and silverware first and pots and pans last.

I also remember doing the dishes with my cousins and aunts during the holidays and I thought it was so much fun! I didn't always think that about the dishes at my own home. It was also enjoyable to wash dishes at my friend's house. Maybe it was the time we had to chat as we worked our way through those dirty dishes.

When my girls were little, I spent a few days at a beach house in the summer with my girlfriends and their children. It was my time to take a shower and when I was done and went into the kitchen, there was my girlfriend's two sons teaching my daughters how to wash dishes by hand! I had to laugh. I had never taught them how to do it. MJ didn't have a dishwasher, so her boys knew how to wash dishes correctly. My girls thought it was fun and really got into it. Great memories.

Last week, my dishwasher just died. Lowe's was having a sale and we went over one evening and set it all up. It's in and all shiny new and working great. My appliances are white, so I wanted a white dishwasher...yes, I am a bit old fashioned, but the stainless steel just isn't right for my home. My coffee pot died yesterday and this old fashioned gal had to go to 3 shoppes to find a white one. Hummmm.....guess I'm out of style but I know what I like and that's just fine with me.


8 comments:

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Hi Linda,
Thanks so much for your recent visit to my Chandelier post, and for letting me know you stopped by. :) Happy September and happy Autumn to you.
Gina

mamasmercantile said...

I still have white appliances too, they go with the style of my kitchen.

janice15 said...

I still wash dishes by hand.. I don't care for dish washers Happy September with love Janice

Debbie Harris said...

I had to giggle over this post, Linda. :-)
I would much rather have the old fashioned almond color if they still made them. I had tho move on to the black appliances but that's better than the stainless steel, yuck. We need to get a new washer and dryer and I'm dreading it because I can't get the almond color.
I remember being taught how to wash dishes correctly too, isn't that funny.
I don't mind a dishwasher, but I absolutely dislike unloading it!!! Wish I had a robot to do that for me.

Enjoy your new dishwasher!

Cindy The Victorian Journey said...

What did we do before dishwashers.. I have a Bosch and wouldn't go back from it. I did dishes by hand for way to long..Now give me my dishwasher...
Have a great weekend... come over to my blog and join me their made some crafty things.. Hugs. Cindy

Sandra said...

So happy to hear someone else like "white" appliances. I am just not the fan of the all stainless steel kitchens. I prefer a white porcelain sink and all white appliances. It just looks clean and bright to me. I am happy you have a new dishwasher. Take care.

Denise said...

We didn't have a dishwasher growing up either.Not until I moved into My first apart. away from home did I have one. Dad always said He already had 4 dishwashers-Us kids.I would love to visit the past and do dishes in My Mom's kitchen with My sisters.

Caron Brennan said...

I laughed when I came across your post. It took my mom awhile to replace her dishwasher. Actually about ten years. It went out in the 1990's and she finally replaced in 2000's, at some point. She loved to do dishes by hand as well. Then she realized how it was much easier to run the dishwasher. She loved it!

Caron Brennan @ ASAP Appliance Service