Pages

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Tea Time Thursday # 16 and Carnations


Happy Tea Time Thursday! Just a short post today to get back on track. I was looking through my
book on the Language of Flowers and enjoyed reading about carnations. I love carnations. When I was little and we lived in southern California, my mom grew lots of carnations. She planted them in big gold colored tins that my dad brought home from the Woolworth store that he managed. I think nuts came in the tins. Anyway, they liked the arrangement and grew like crazy.

 

I love the language of flowers and the different meanings for flowers. Red carnations~alas for my poor heart♡ Yellow carnations~disdain♡Striped carnations~refusal!


My cup and saucer with lovely carnations is an English set by Taylor and Kent. I love all the colors and the sweet little carnation on the edge of the saucer.


This is one of my carnation plants in my new garden space. Doing fine so far! They have a very spicy scent.


It is thought that the carnation plant came to England with the Normans. They can be found growing wild in the walls of the Norman castles of Dover and Rochester that came from France. 

4 comments:

Bernideen said...

She's a beauty and they smell so lovely! I have one of those books too and love it!

Deborah said...

Love carnations, so pretty and delicate :) have a happy day!

Bee happy x

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Beautiful thoughts on Carnations and I love your pretty teacup and saucer! It's very special. Hope your weekend is lovely! xo

Terri said...

I have seen this book before. It is very interesting. That is a fabulous striped carnation there. Your tea cup is gorgeous with her flowers and heavy gold trim. What a wonderful shape too! Thanks so much for sharing your post about the language of flowers and your carnation tea cup with us all.
Hugs,
Terri