Pages

Friday, March 21, 2014

Spring Is Here!

 I am totally coveting this Flower Fairy Teaset by Ruetter Porcelain! This is so adorable, but out of my price range! Probably a good thing. Reutter Porcelain is always so charming.


Yesterday was the first day of SPRING! It's official. I was getting some groceries the other day and walked by the garden center. Oh be still my heart....FLOWERS! I love flowers and it just makes me happy to see them.


Bright colors an sunshine. Don't you think that's a good combo? I do. I get so excited and want to get out in the garden and start planting. Oh but beware! I make myself wait as it is JUST spring. When I woke up this morning, I was surprised to see that we had a hard freeze last night. Patience with the planting. It's ok to start planning and dreaming a bit.



I love all the flower fairies by Cicely Mary Barker, so I pulled some of her early spring fairies up to post. I like the colors as they are perfect for this month of March.





Let me share just a bit about her life. She was born in England on June 28, 1895 and died on February 16, 1973. She was an epileptic and never married. She worked with watercolors, oils, pastels, and pen and ink. She produced greeting cards and did some illustration work for magazines before she published her first book in 1923-FAIRIES OF SPRING. When her parents built a new home in the country, they built Cicely a studio and her sister a classroom for kindergarten on the property. Cicely borrowed students from her sister for her fairy models. She actuall dressed them up in costumes that she would make....even the wings! She would take them apart when she was done and recycle the costumes for the next flower. Isn't that a fun piece of information.


6 comments:

GardenOfDaisies said...

The flower fairy teaser is so adorable! Is it regular size for big people, or miniature for kids?
I love CMB's flower fairies! I have her daisy fairy on my sidebar. What an incredible talent she had. So fun that she made the costumes and recycled the bits for the next one. Sorry to hear that she was ill, though. They probably didn't have meds to control that back then.

Denise said...

Interesting :) I do love Her work. Hoping all is good with You Linda.

Unknown said...

Hello from Spain: welcome spring. I love the smell of spring. Many and varied flowers and good weather. Interesting life...Keep in touch

Anonymous said...

Love this post on our Cecily!! So great how she used real models and did all the costuming. A gal after my own heart. Joyful to know her illness did not impede the impact she made in art and poetry - let alone gardening!

Hope you'll repost this in my Link-up that goes LIVE on Monday!! It's only once a month. My Pink Saturday post tells all about how to link in and the variety of posts that can fit in the categories. Just decide which category your post fits best and note that in your title. All the details are there - and are always able to be reviewed on the page tab under my banner at the top.

Hope to see you check in at the Link-up to encore this great little bio on a favorite artist and writer!

Joy!
Kathy

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Those fairies are so sweet and I enjoyed reading about Cecily! I have a flower fairy teapot.

Beth in NEPA said...

I love these fairy flower children. I am lucky enough to have a book by a different artist..... M.T. Ross.... featuring flower children... similar but not "fairies." It is from 1910
and the book was written by Elizabeth Gordon.
I also have a recent book Flower Fairies in Ribbon Embroidery and Stumpwork featuring CMB's flower fairies. I actually have a lot of books about fairies and artwork featuring them. LOVE THEM.